Why Focus on EMFs?
What are EMFs?
The Problems with EMFs?
Aren’t There EMF Regulations?
What is Dirty Electricity?
The Facts about EMFs and Our Health
Symptoms of EMFs and EHS
Recommendations for Dealing with EMFs
Resources and Scientific Studies Related to EMF Health
The purpose of this article is to give a high level education on the effects of electromagnetic fields or EMFs on our health and provide immediate solutions to staying healthy and avoiding electromagnetic hypersensitivity or EHS. My intention is to distill a lot of information on a subject that has many parameters into a one page resource. I’m focusing on the most important factors and giving resources where you can do more of your own research to go deeper. I’m doing this because many of my clients are looking for answers that conventional medicine isn’t able to provide. Doctors have been told that EMFs are safe when they’re not. I myself have had challenges that I’ve needed to address the impact of EMFs in my life.
Simply put, an electromagnetic field (EMF) is the radiation of energy emitted by electrical charges. Physicists tend to think of this as a physical phenomenon as fields are attributable to atomic elements such as electrons. However, the electron has also been known to act as both wave and partical, making the field something more. For the purposes of this article, think of the sensation you experience when you have two magnets. If you attempt to introduce the positive to positive or negative to negative sides to each other, you feel how they repel each other. There’s a shape that you can feel the circumference of. Now imagine that this invisible shape extends from all electronic devices, light switches, refrigerators, microwaves, cell towers, etc. These emissions travel at different rates and distances depending on the amount of power and the frequency behind the field.
To understand frequency, it’s easiest to see the picture of a waveform.
Sound and color are two ends of a huge spectrum of measurable oscillations of vibratory energy. These oscillations are measured in cycles per second or Hertz. For instance, an AM radio transmitter emits waveforms in the range of 540kHz – 1605kHz. The “k” is for kilo or 1,000. FM radio transmits over the vibrational spectrum in the megahertz range from 88-108mHz. Mega is Greek for million. The range in which a frequency is transmitted is known as a “band.”
Color is a vibration as well, and is seen in the spectrum at the level of terahertz. Tera in Greek is trillion. Giga or billion is in between mega and tera, leaving open a wide range of vibrational spectrum to transmit over. This is where cell phones and wifi generally transmit.
The bodies of mammals including humans, and probably most other life forms on the planet have evolved to harmonize with the frequencies that occur in nature; for instance, the resonance of the Earth itself and the spectral colors in the range of light emitted by the sun. Other frequencies of radiation from the sun and other parts of the galaxy are filtered by the ozone layer of our planet. Because of this, life forms on Earth have a natural resistance to anything below 2000kHz. The problem lies with man-made frequencies. Transmitters are being used to send radio waves through the air in different frequency bands. Electricity, although often using lower frequencies like 50-60Hz can generate spikes of higher frequencies called transients at much higher frequencies beyond 2000kHz. These frequencies can penetrate our bodies.
To give you an idea of the physical length in measurement of waves, a wave with a frequency of 2000 kHz would be close to 7in. or 17cm. long. 108mHz would be .00012in. or .0031mm. 2.4gHz which is our current cellular transmission frequency would be .0000055in. or .00014cm. As you can see, the higher the frequency of transmission, the greater that amount of these waves entering the body. Keep in mind that nothing in nature historically has ever been subjected to these types of electromagnetic fields. Nothing in nature is equipped with a microbiome nor an immune system to properly deal with these EMFs.
The argument some have is that we’ve been using electricity for a century and many people have worked with radio waves in different forms for all this time and didn’t get sick. Why are we having problems now? The truth is, we’ve always had these problems but didn’t know what it was. Health has deteriorated in major metropolitan areas over the last 100 years as proven by Weston A. Price. In his studies of diet, those that were raised in remote regions with local food sources had noticeable health decline when relocating to major metropolitan areas where fresh foods weren’t as accessible. He was tracking diet, but this was probably only one factor that led to the gross health consequences of these relocations. There are plenty of reports of over-radiation and its effects when working with high voltage transmissions in high frequency radio and radar. However, the problem isn’t just with high frequencies. It’s also with non-thermal effects of ELF or extremely low frequencies from 3-30Hz and low frequencies (LF) from 30-300Hz.
Aren’t Things Better Outside the City?
On another note, this isn’t just a problem for greater metropolitan areas. Rural areas can be even worse for some because the transmitters are further apart. To compensate for distance, the utility will increase the voltage. If you’re close to a transmitter the field will be greater. With electrical transmission towers, it has been shown that incidents of childhood leukemia are common. Studies show the nature of the signal is more harmful than the power.
What About 5G?
5G stands for the 5th generation of wireless services offered by the telecommunications industry. The new transmission frequency will be 5GHz, doubling our current 4th generation (4G) transmission frequency of 2.4GHz, allowing for faster data download speeds. Because the wavelength is shorter, they’ll be boosting voltage for transmissions to send them further, as well as adding more transmission towers. Over 180 scientists from 35 countries have asked for a moratorium on the release of 5G networks due to health damage
This would all make you wonder, aren’t there regulations about these sorts of the things? Isn’t that what the FCC is for? Well, yes, there are some regulations around thermal effects. The problem is not with heat. It’s cellular disruption which is 7 millions times more sensitive than epidermal effects of heat and it happens over a longer period of time. To make matters more difficult, the 1996 Telecommunications Act prevents the public discussion of any health effects related to any projects that are driven by the telecommunications industry.
What’s Happening Outside the US?
It is true that the safety guidelines and recommendations are very lenient in the US compared to other parts of the world. Also, the regulations around wireless are stricter and in higher recognition in other countries. For instance, Sweden recognizes Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity (EHS) as a disability whereas in the US, it’s simply a buzzword. In France, internet connected devices are banned in schools. Currently, there are no federal regulations on EMFs in the US. In the UK and EU, they passed a directive and guidelines on occupational exposure in 2013
Do You Smell Cigarettes?
Some claim that what’s happening in the US is just like what took place with the tobacco industry. Although there are thousands of studies from around the world that show the detrimental effects of EMFs on humans, animals, crops, and even seed germination, the media is silent. Researchers are bought and paid for by the telecommunications industry, and those that are not are discredited. The public is psychological ensnared into believing that we can’t live without these technologies and the devices themselves are designed to be addictive.
It cannot be denied that there’s a lot of money at stake. The telecommunications industry is a trillion dollar industry. It would rather not have to deal with a few people getting sick. Estimates are that 1/3 of the global population is sensitive and may not even know it yet. The problem is that chronic disease is ruining the quality of life for people, mostly in the US and Europe, but the intended rollout for 5G is worldwide. This may have massive consequences of which we’ve not seen the likes of. Wouldn’t it be better to prove that something is good for us rather than deny that it may be bad for us?
Dirty electricity is a byproduct of wiring errors, wiring designs, and methods of delivering electricity from power companies. All buildings are equipped with a power box or breaker panel attached to a power line that feeds the home or business electricity from the grid. As the electricity moves into a building, what’s not used should return to the panel via a neutral line that runs next to the wire that carries the current, i.e., the hot wire. Many old homes having wiring where the neutral is separated from the hot wire creating a measurable magnetic field in the area where the wires are separated. Another issue is that back in the 70’s, utility companies started running the neutrals from the power poles into the ground to dissipate the neutral rather than return it back to the grid causing an electrical field in the ground itself. You can measure this with a body voltage meter or sensitive EMF meter that measures in nanotesla.
One of the biggest problems that creates dirty electricity are electronic devices themselves. We’re on an alternating current (AC) electrical grid which mean that electrical current flows back and forth. Most devices use direct current (DC) which flows evenly in one direction. Those wall warts or transformers that you get with many devices like computers changes AC to DC current so that the device can use the electricity in the way it needs to. Also, many devices use variable amounts of electrical current like dimmer switches and ceiling fans. This changing and moderating current can cause many harmful transients that are fed back into the neutral wiring and back into the grid, being picked up by your neighbors. Devices like televisions, modems and Wi-Fi routers and especially solar panels are responsible for creating dirty electricity.
To understand why EMFs affect our health, Dr. Martin Pall Ph.D. from Washington State University researched the effects of EMFs on our cells. Up until this point, all FCC recommendations are based on the thermal or heat effects of EMFs. However, it’s not thermal effects that cause the long list of symptoms and maladies, it’s electrical biological effects on the cells of the body themselves.
In a nutshell, human cells should not have much calcium in them. There should only be enough to assist with signal transduction and the transcription of genes. On the cells surface are voltage gated calcium channels (VGCC) that are regulated by metal ion dependent adhesion sites (MIDAS) to control the amount of calcium getting into the cells. EMFs have been shown up open these VGCCs, flooding the cells with calcium and disturbing the communication in the mitochondria of the cells. This would explain the conclusions in studiesstudies showing adverse health effects such as:
- Neurological / neuropsychiatric effects
- Lowered fertility
- Oxidative stress
- Cellular DNA damage
- Cell death (apoptosis)
- Excessive intercellular calcium and false signaling
- Endocrine effects
- Cancer and free radical damage
- Electrical control of the heart
- Early onset Altzheimers
List of EMF metabolic changes
- Gut health
- Poor nutrition
- Low minerals
- Low melatonin
- Disrupted circadian rhythm
- Poor sleep
- Toxin load
- Weak immune system
Another way that calcium gets into the cell is via glutamine receptors. These receptors are affected by EMFs and glyphosate, the weed killer found in RoundUp. These are responsible for the false signaling happening inter and intracellularly with our cells. This indicates a communication impairment happening throughout the body which will trigger an immune response and sense of threat to the fight or flight system in the body. The body, perceived as being constantly under threat is triggering cortisol and adrenalin from the adrenals which would explain why so many people, especially women are experiencing adrenal blowout. When the cell membrane is disrupted in this way, it can’t let the proper nutrients in or the toxins out. The immune system itself gets overwhelmed.
Effects on Sleep
Sleep is another huge factor that is affected by EMFs. Sleep is essential for the body to rejuvenate and repair itself, balance ourselves mentally and emotionally, and support immune function. There are studies that show disturbances and those that don’t. The problem with all of these studies is the variance in current health of the participants, the frequencies that are studied, and the conditions and period of time in which the studies are conducted. It is conclusive that EMFs affect sleep EEG and cognitive performance, memory, and learning functions, but how much is still being argued. Studies done by the International Committee of Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) have declared no significant affectation of EMFs upon sleep. However, other studies have drawn the opposite conclusion. In fact, they’ve shown significant disruption of melatonin levels produced by the pineal gland, which should aid in sound sleep.
Unfortunately, the time at which the body heals and rejuvenates is when we’re sleeping. However, the exposure to EMFs NEVER STOPS! We’re inundated by 24/7 365, everywhere on the planet.
EMFs cause oxidative stress. This can create a substantial deficiency in nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD), an important metabolic cofactor that’s essential to life by transporting electrons into cell mitochondria. Without proper NAD production, cellular function stops. One of the most important endogenous (internal) antioxidants for preventing oxidative stress is glutathione. Antioxidants should help heal the effects of EMFs, however EMFs have been shown to dramatically decrease levels of glutathione and catalase (an antioxidative enzyme) in the body.
The microbiome (microorganism colonies in and on the body) is also highly sensitive to EMFs. Our knowledge of this has really only surfaced since the genome started to be explored. The more the diversity, the healthier the body. What studies are showing is that EMFs disrupt quorum sensing, the electromagnetic method by which microbiome colonies communicate. The results are inflammation from immune response, microbial imbalances, and proliferation of pathogenic bacteria.
Metal in the body from teeth fillings and implants to heavy metal exposure present in the blood can act as an attractor to EMFs. It’s highly advised to get metal amalgams removed from the body in a safe and effective way. IAOMT.com has a list of dentists trained to correctly remove fillings without dumping mercury into the body.
Mold growth has also been shown in studies to be stimulated by EMFs. This means that the allergy symptoms we experience that keep getting worse year after year are a result of EMFs stimulating mycotoxins and allergens from the environment.
Children are most susceptible to the effects of EMFs.
Why is that we’re not falling apart more rapidly? The symptoms start out rather innocuously as insomnia, headaches, foggy head, lethargy, and maybe being a little emotional or unmotivated. What’s happening is a slow cellular breakdown resulting in inflammation. It happens over years until you have a significant health challenge and find yourself having electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS) and normal life comes to a halt.
It may be said that the only true escape from this onslaught of EMFs is a faraday cage. Simply put, a faraday cage is a complete protective enclosure made from grounded fine metal mesh or perforated sheet metal where the holes are smaller than the wavelength of the external electromagnetic radiation it’s blocking. Materials woven with a fine mesh of cotton and silver can be found in the form of clothing and bed canopies, the latter used to create a faraday cage around your bed. People that are EHS who start to use a canopy at night while sleeping can experience a cytokine storm where the immune system floods the body with cytokine peptides (immune modulating proteins) resulting in extensive inflammation. It’s important to gradually introduce this kind of protection when symptoms of EHS are severe, however, at this time it is the only true measurable relief from EMFs.
Autoimmune disease affects 1 in 5 people in the western world; chronic disease about 60% of the adult population. The Australian biomedical scientist, Trevor Marshall said, “Anyone that has chronic inflammatory disease has a problem with EFMs even if they don’t realize it… When somebody is taking a drug which is no longer working the way the physician would expect or doing a therapy which is no longer working, the physician must start thinking in terms of EHS.”
The benefits of life don’t come from telecoms. They come from relationships with people, families, communities and nature and with innovation from within ourselves. Creativity, inspiration, and intuition. These are all things that are being dumbed down and not considered important in this high speed tech world.
~ Camilla Rees
- Start with decreasing your exposure to devices that carry signals.
- Make changes to dirty electricity problems in the home.
- Make changes to your diet to stimulate cellular repair and decrease inflammation.
- Consider the MTHFR test to find your susceptibility to cellular EMF damage.
1. Decreasing Your Exposure
- At a minimum, unplug your wireless router before bed.
- At best, use ethernet cables to connect your computers to your router. You can connect tablets with an ethernet adaptor. Then, turn off your wireless completely.
- If possible, turn off the circuit breaker to your bedroom at night while you’re sleeping. There are remote controlled breakers you can obtain.
- Cell phones should be in airplane mode if it’s in your bedroom at night and any time it’s on your body.
- Never talk on the cell phone closer than arms length from your body. Use an Air Tube headset or speaker mode.
- If your cell phone is not in airplane mode, do not put it closer than arm’s length to your body.
- Do not have a smart meter on your home. You can get it removed and there is shielding you can obtain.
- Cordless phone bases are huge emitters of EMF and they constantly emit unless you buy a more expensive phone that only emits during a call.
- Bluetooth is not your friend. Apple watches and FitBits should not be used until they build in the ability to be self initiated to transfer data. Right now, they’re constantly sending and receiving EMFs.
- No baby monitors unless it is life or death, and then, keep it as far from your baby as possible.
- There has been talk about coiled mattresses and metal bed frames acting as antennae for RF signals. This hasn’t been substantiated but if you’re EHS, it can’t hurt to have at a minimum, individually wrapped coiled mattresses to prevent circuits, and to have a wood frame.
- Check out having a TriField meter to make measurements of electric, magnetic and RF frequencies around your home and compare to the Bioinitiative Report recommendations.
- No plugin alarm clocks by your head while you’re sleeping.
- Electric and Hybrid vehicles are huge emitters of EMFs. If you’re EHS, this is highly risky.
- Remove CFL light bulbs from your home and business. They’re a terrible source of EMF polution.
- If you need to use your microwave, don’t stand with 15ft. of it while in use.
2. Addressing dirty electricity in the home
There are two locations for dirty electricity. The first is the power coming into the breaker box of the building from the main power line. Transients get introduced from other parts of the network via homes and businesses nearby into the power line itself, and these travel into your home or business. You can filter with more expensive “whole-home” filters at the box itself to ensure that only clean electricity is coming into your building.
Once the power is in the building, whatever devices you have plugged or wired into the building can also create transits and these can be filtered right at the outlets. There are different filters with varying capacities to clean the circuits. Some are for each individual circuit and some can handle an entire room. Two things to consider are the placement of filters and the magnetic fields they may emit if you have wiring problems. Older homes with knob and tube wiring can have magnetic fields that the filters can make worse. It’s important to be able to test and measure the fields that you’re fixing.
The simplest thing to do is to purchase a Dirty Electricity Meter which gives you a simple digital readout that will produce a number when you plug it in indicating the amount of dirty electricity in that circuit. It’s measured in Graham Stetzer (GS) units. 50 is equal to 2000Hz. You want your reading as low as possible so if you’re over 50, you have a problem and want to apply a plugin filter to that circuit. If you’re in a room that has a lot of equipment, you may either need multiple filters per circuit, or you might go the route of a whole room filter. If you have an older home with knob and tube wiring, you may want to get a magnetic field meter or combo meter to measure the magnetic fields to ensure you’re not creating another problem. Note that magnetic fields cut off pretty quickly, meaning that don’t travel far. However, if you’re EHS, this could be an issue that you want to simply avoid. I highly recommend Oram Miller as a Building Biologist who has a very comprehensive web site with a lot of information to further assist you.
Meters for Measuring Dirty Electricity and EMFs and Filters
Magnetic Field Meters
- Gigahertz ME3851A
- Gigahertz ME3030B
- Cyprus – Model 4080 Triaxial ELF Magnetic Field Meter
Dirty Electricity Meters
- Stetzer “Microsurge” Meter
- Greenwave Line EMI Meter – Measures from 3kHz – 10mHz
Radio Frequency (RF) Meters
- Acousticom 2 RF Detector – 200mHz – 8gHz
- Corronet ED88T
- ENV RD-10
- TriField TF2
- Dave Stetzer – Stetzerizer
- Noble Electronics – MxDNA series
- Alan Maher Designs – DED
- Ben Lonetree, Iona Miller – Clean-E Filters
- Greenwave – DE Filters
- Satic Technology – Pure Power Plug-in
- Cratus Canada Ltd – SineTamer
3. Health Support Recommendations for EMF Sensitivity
Tips for maximum recovery
- Get more minerals from trace mineral additives
- Get more magnesium from epsom salt baths, coconut water, trace mineral additives and supplements.
- Add lipids from good oils, especially olive, avocado, and coconut.
- Improve your sleep
- Improve your gut health
Foods and Herbs (eat organic to avoid glyphosate)
Cruciferous vegetables increasing polyphenols as antioxidants to improve overall health such as:
- Bok choy
- Brussels sprouts
- Collard greens
- Water cress
Foods rich in the sulphur help the body detoxify:
- Grass-fed cow’s milk
- Mustard greens
- Sweet potatoes
Foods high in polyphenols and antioxidants to protect against radiation and pathogens like:
- Artichokes – highly recommended
- Asparagus – highly recommended
- Berries – especially blueberries and cranberries
- Dark chocolate
- Fermented foods such as sauerkraut and yogurt
- Grass-fed beef
- Hemp seed oil
- Olive oil – highly recommended combined with Carbon 60
- Pomegranate juice
- Red beans
- Tart cherries – highly recommended
- Whey protein
Herbs to improve detoxing
- Coriander – highly recommended
- Milk thistle – Activates natural glutathione production in the body.
- Pau d’arch – helps with nicatinomide riboside / B3 for NAD production.
- Rosemary – Protects against radiation.
- Yarrow – Detoxification
- Yellowdock root – Immune system support
Essential Oils, Supplemants and More…
Essential oils to diffuse
- Frankencinse – Helps with sleep
- Rosemary – highly recommended
- The purest water is distilled water. You can add trace minerals.
- Molecular hydrogen has huge health benefits.
- Niacin (B3) – Responsible for over 400 reactions in the body.
- Magnesium – Responsible for over 800 reactions in the body.
- CBD oil can increase NRF2 to support mitochondria function promoting detoxification, increasing antioxidant activity, and creating anti-inflammatory actions.
- Hemp Seed Oil – Protective against radiation by increasing omega 3 and 6 for cell membrane health.
- Vitamin C with bioflavonoids – Antioxidant
- Vitamin E – Prevents oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation.
- Vitamin B9 – Helps the cells make, repair and methylate DNA. Also an antioxidant.
- Glutathione – Especially important antioxidant that may need to be replenished due to EMF exposure and EHS.
- Astaxathin – Extremely powerful antioxidant
- N-acetyl cysteine – Activates natural production of glutathione in the body.
- Cytodetox – Protects against the effects of radiation in the body.
- Propalis – highly recommended for EHS
- Methylated folate – highly recommended for EHS
- L-thianine – For calming the body
Alternative or Not Conventionally Measurable
- Shungite – This can create measurable effects with conventional meters though the claim is that the fullerenes change the spin of EMFs which itself is not measurable conventionally.
- Chips, pendants, and other home devices – There are a ton of these on the market with scientifc claims. Again, these are rarely measurable with conventional devices. You must either do darkfield microscopy or rely on pendulums or kinesiology. Do what’s measurable first before exploring this types of items.
- Earthing Mats – Building Biologists and Engineers have mostly not supported these, however, like pendants and other home devices, people feel better when using them. There is science supporting their usage. It is important to have a clean ground circuit because these can act a amplifiers if not.
- Energy Medicine
4. MTHFR Test
MTHFR Tests for A1298C C677T – This test checks for gene mutations that contribute to blocked detox pathways which could contribute to EHS.
- World Health Organization – Report from Russia on the effects of non-ionizing radiation and the recommendation that children under the age of 18 should not use cell phones due to certain health risks.
- FCC Maximum Permissable RF Exposure Regulations – RFCafe.com
- Exposure limits on EMFs worldwide
- 1996 Telecommunications Act
- Clear evidence in NIH studies that cell phones cause cancer in rats
- Take Back Your Power – The Movie
- Smart Meter Shield
- Hardell Group – Mobile phones, cordless phones and the risk for brain tumors.
- Dr. Martin Pall – Nrf2, a master regulator of detoxification and also antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and other cytoprotective mechanisms, is raised by health promoting factors.
- EHTrust – More than enough scientific articles and research to prove the detrimental health effects of EMFs.
- Effect of Communication Towers on Migratory Birds
- Effects of electromagnetic fields exposure on the antioxidant defense system
- EMFs.info – Highly informative site on EMFs
- Glutathione – MedicalNewsToday.com, Mercola.com
- Electrosmog and autoimmune disease
- Nonthermal effects of millimeter microwaves on yeast growth.
- Resonant microwave effect on locally fixed yeast micro colonies.
- Molecular hydrogen: a preventive and therapeutic medical gas for various diseases
- Experimental model for ELF-EMF exposure: Concern for human health
- Moratoreum request for 5G
- DIRECTIVE 2013/35/EU OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL
- Pineal melatonin level disruption in humans due to electromagnetic fields and ICNIRP limits
- The Bioinitiative Report 2012
- Oram Miller, Building Biologist and Instructor – Create Healthy Homes
- Radioprotective potential of Rosemarinus officinalis against lethal effects of gamma radiation : a preliminary study.
- MTHFR Test
- Karelian Heritage – About Shungite
- Fullerenes and C60
- 5G Crisis – Excellent jump off point for research about the potential effects of 5G.
- Lloyd Burrell – Years of gathered info for the public.
- Dr. Madda Havis,PHd – EMF expert and professor
- Comprehensive list of studies on health effects of EMFs
- International EMF Scientist Appeal
- Dr. Jerry Tennant – Author of “Healing is Voltage
- Dr. Deitrich Klinghardt – Essential understanding of EMFs and health.
- Annie Hopper – Retraining the Brain
- Dr. Ben Lynch – Author of Dirty Genes
- WEEP EHS Survival Guide – Canadian group advocating health recommendations for EHS
- Exposed: The Electronic Sickening of America and How to Protect Yourself by Bill Cadwallader
- The Non-Tinfoil Guide to EMFs by Nicolas Pineault
- Overpowered by Martin Blank
- Dirty Electricity by Sam Milham
- The Body Electric by Robert O. Becker